Our first Take N’ Go STEAM kit for October is learning how creatures survive and thrive in cold climates. The kit comes with a super cool BLUBBER BAG, plus supplies to make a bird feeder.
You will need:
- Crisco (from the Blubber Bag)
- Pine cone
- Sunflower seeds (or any seeds approved for bird feed)
- Optional: paper towels for cleanup
This fun and interactive STEM activity will teach the technique of “If-Then,” which is a coding method used by coders.
- Large grid paper for a game board (image below)
- If-Then Cards (image below)
- Homes + Obstacles printout (image below)
- Plastic Bits
- Acornimals (or any small toy!)
Inspired by the craft “If-Then Dice Grid Game” STEM activity from 100 Easy STEAM Activities: Awesome Hands-On Projects for Aspiring Artists and Engineers by Andrea Scalzo Yi
Make a cute little animal from pipe cleaners and beads. The kit includes beads which are sensitive to UV light – see what colors they turn into when exposed to sunlight!
Let’s have some fun with soap and a microwave!
What happens to an ordinary piece of soap when it is exposed to the high heat of a microwave? Find out with this super fun STEM kit!
- Bar of soap (broken into about three pieces)
- Access to a microwave
- Optional: toothpick to doodle on soap
Be sure to unwrap the soap before putting it in the microwave!