While newly renovated in 2010, the Madison Library District has been the center of the Rexburg area since we opened our doors in 1921. We have activities and events for all ages, free Internet access and a rentable Community Room. Learn about our upcoming events by signing up for library news delivered to your inbox.
In the fall of 1920, a group of civic-minded citizens met at the home of Mrs. S. H. Abbott, with Mayor John L. Ballif presiding to discuss the establishment of a public library in Rexburg. A committee of five ladies was appointed to draft a constitution and by-laws of the Rexburg Improvement League, which was to have as its main objectives the establishment of a library and other civic improvements. Members of the committee were Mrs. Abbott, Mrs. L. F. Rich, Mrs. C. W. Poole, Mrs. C. A. Walfrom, and Mrs. Parley Nelson.
The results of that organization were as follows: The county commissioners gave the use of two connecting rooms in the courthouse; the Commercial Club donated tables and chairs; the City Council voted to donate $25 per month for the librarian’s salary; and the school superintendent cooperated in a drive for books which gathered 800 books, many of which were suitable for the library. Mrs. Parley Nelson was appointed librarian…
The Madison Library District will:
- Assemble, preserve, and make available materials, resources, and technology to the community in a variety of forms;
- Support the ideals of intellectual freedom;
- Provide a positive, friendly environment for the community to gather;
- Serve as a center for lifelong learning and the enjoyment of reading.
At the Madison Library District, we are engagers, we are learners, and we are stewards. Our vision is to empower every voice in our community, and our mission is to share the information, services, and opportunities that fulfill your aspirations. We engage our community. We ask questions. We listen. We work to understand our neighbors.
Regular Hours of Operation
- Monday – Thursday: 9:00 am – 8:00 pm
- Friday: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Saturday: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Sunday: CLOSED
Closures in 2022
- January 1 – New Year’s
- January 17 – Martin Luther King, Jr., Day
- February 21 – President’s Day
- March 25 – Staff Development Day
- April 2 – Closed for Maintenance
- May 28-30 – Memorial Day
- June 20 – Juneteenth
- July 2-4 – Independence Day
- September 3-5 – Labor Day
- September 22 - Staff Development Day
- October 1 – Closed for Maintenance
- November 11 – Veteran’s Day
- November 23 – Closing at 5 pm
- November 24-26 – Thanksgiving
- December 23-26 – Christmas
- December 30-31, 2022 – New Year’s
- January 2, 2023 – New Year’s Day
73 North Center
Rexburg, Idaho 83440
We are located on Center Street, just north of Main Street, by the Historic Rexburg Tabernacle.
24 Hour Phone Renewal: (208) 356-6658